working man—a man who has a job in industry; member of the working class:
- Greyhound racing is sometimes said to be the working man’s substitute for horse racing.
Note: The expression does not correlate in meaning with the phrase working girl—
1. said of a girl, usually single, who supports herself by working in an office, etc.:
- The film portrays a white-collar working girl who receives a marriage proposal from a kindly but humble doctor.
2. (euph.) a prostitute:
- Now, the average working girl often takes in hundreds, maybe even thousands, of dollars every night she is on the street.
1. a manual worker employed upon some particular piece of work; a skilled craftsman:
- The workmen brought the materials on Friday and promised to start the job on Monday.
2. a person who works in some specified way:
- My health makes me a very slow workman.