wring one’s hands—
1. squeeze one’s hands together to express despair, sorrow, etc.:
- His face was pale, and he stared at his feet while wringing his hands nervously.
2. be very worried or upset about smth.:
- Our President is all day in security sessions, briefings, debriefings, staying up all night wringing his hands over this whole mess.
wring someone’s hand—shake hands with a person showing more emotion than in the usual handshake:
- He shook hands with Tom, wringing his hand harder than he knew.