work oneself up into something—bring oneself into a highly emotional state:
- It would be foolish, even dangerous to work oneself up into a frenzy.
work oneself up to something—
1. = work oneself up into something:
- He would gradually work himself up to a state of intense agitation in which he screamed and berated me.
2. prepare oneself with sufficient energy or courage to do smth.:
- I can’t just walk in there and ask for a raise. I have to work myself up to it.
3. progress to a certain rank or status:
- He worked himself up to sergeant in no time at all.