1. fully open:
- The living areas are very spacious with comfortable sofas and wide open doors welcoming in a fresh breeze and bright light.
2. (Boxing ) fully exposed; unprotected:
- Summers in an unguarded moment, left himself wide open and encountered one of the most decisive knock-out punches I ever saw.
3. vulnerable; off one’s guard:
- You never find me going in for favors…. It leaves you wide open.
4. (U.S.) said of a town characterized by a lack of restrictions on places for drinking, gambling, etc.:
- He has been elected three times because the citizens want a wide-open town.
widely open — = wide open 1:
- We caught a glimpse through widely open doors of the empty auditorium, frantically busy stage crews, and the fully powered-up lighting.