1. (pl.) white foam on the crests of waves (in stormy weather):
- We had a strong head wind … the surface of the lake was covered with white-caps.
2. name for several birds having a white patch on the head:
- The male [Redstart] is called “whitecap” in Shropshire, from its white forehead.
3. name for species of mushroom:
- These are the common mushrooms you see in almost every supermarket these days. White caps are used raw in salads, and in cooking.
1. (U.S. Navy) an enlisted man:
- There’s a white hat out here who has gone crazy.
2. (coll.) a good and righteous man:
- Nixon clung to the original plan against the urging of Garment, and other “white hats.”