waste water—water that has been used in some industrial process:
- The liquefaction process could give off up to 4.8 million gallons of wastewater per day.
Note: The expression does not correlate in meaning with the phrase waste of water—
1. (also: waste of waters) a vast expanse of water:
- It seemed to her that her life was like that gull’s—the world stretched before her, like a great waste of water, shoreless and desolate.
2. the continued use of more water than is needed:
- These taps start dripping after being used for some time, causing a great waste of water every year.
wasted water—water used without a good purpose or in greater amount than is necessary:
- An inefficient irrigation system can cost you hundreds of dollars each month in wasted water.