1. until death results:
- Four members of a bushwalking club were burnt to death when trapped by a bush fire.
2. said of smb. sentenced to be executed:
- The Russian Embassy’s source confirmed that a Russian citizen had been sentenced to death in China.
3. (hyperbolic) utterly; completely:
- But I see you are tired to death, and will wish you good night.
to the death—
1. (of combatants) keep fighting until none is left alive:
- The British used to admire the men who fought to the death, paying the ultimate price.
2. struggle to the bitter end:
- What drove them was a corporate culture that made them fight to the death for their firms.