tight on someone—
1. (of garments) fitting too closely; being too small for a person:
- The Navy’s largest dungaree shirt was tight on him, and he popped the buttons off when he expanded his chest.
2. (Sport) striving to limit the opponent’s options and freedom of movement:
- Chiasson … just fires the puck every time he gets it. And we’ve got to be aware of that; we’ve got to be tight on him.
tight with someone—(coll.)
1. miserly with a person:
- Buxton wonders why Lemoine’s father is so tight with his son while lavishing money on Lemoine’s youngish stepmother.
2. on terms of close friendship with a person:
- Our families grew up together and I got really tight with him.