1. the apparition of a ship known to have disappeared years or centuries before:
- The sighting of a ghost ship is not a good omen, and superstition holds that bad luck will soon follow.
2. an abandoned vessel found floating with no crew:
- What happened on board the ghost ship Mary Celeste has baffled and tantalized the world for 130 years.
1. (UK) a riding vehicle in an amusement park providing exciting and frightening experiences:
- Grayling calls this “recreational fear”—the sort we experience during a ride on a ghost train.
2. a paranormal sighting of a phantom train wrecked in an earlier crash:
- Most ghost train sightings have been recorded in the United States where railway lines were the most extensive.
See also: Dead ship vs Death ship