credit someone for something—
1. appreciate a person for some good quality:
- Even if you don’t agree with the member’s opinion, you must credit him for his loyalty.
2. pay tribute to a person responsible for an achievement:
- Thompson credited him [Sullivan] for developing an essentially new theory in psychiatry.
credit someone with something—
1. regard a person as having some usually good quality:
- Both parties credited him with too much idealism and too little plain horse-sense.
2. ascribe an achievement to a person:
- Families credited Dean with saving their family farms and livestock from illegal pollution.