1. a man who calls up actors in a theater for duty:
- Indignant denials were interrupted by the call-boy knocking on the door and calling for Second Act beginners.
2. a messenger on a steamer, in a hotel, etc.:
- He obtained summer work as a part-time messenger—a job referred to at that time as call boy.
3. a young male prostitute (who makes appointments by phone):
- Hustlers fall into two categories: the street variety and models (call boys).
call man—a man available for emergency call, such as a part-time fireman:
- The call man nearest to the emergency situation was dispatched, since only one person manned the fire station.