bring something to the ground—
1. (of a plane) land:
- He made the landing as carefully as he could and brought the plane to the ground with as much care as possible.
2. topple smth. by a blow or shot:
- But it was the arrow of the elder man which pierced the animal and brought it to the ground.
3. treat smth. so badly as to destroy it:
- They wanted to launch a general strike which would bring the country to the ground.
get something off the ground—
1. (of a stranded ship) get afloat:
- There was ten feet of water inside the ship, so there was no longer any hope to get the ship off the ground.
2. put a rocket into space or get a plane to fly:
- I’ll announce the weather to the passengers as soon as we get the plane off the ground.
3. (of a project, scheme, etc.) launch; get started:
- To get the plan off the ground, Carter has asked that funding for the program be increased.