break into a bank—get into a bank by using force (breaking a lock, window, etc.) with the intention to rob:
- Champ’s accomplice produces blueprints showing how they can break into the bank by digging a tunnel under the sweet shop.
break the bank—
1. win all the money at a casino gambling table:
- He broke the bank at every roulette table he played in, which essentially meant that he won all the money set for that table.
2. (often negat.) be too expensive:
- Even well-known brand names, such as Revlon and L’Oreal stock affordable products that won’t break the bank, so it’s good to go hunting around for sales.