1. a settler in the uncleared forest land:
- It is this which gives that piquancy to the conversation of a backwoodsman.
2. is used of a rough, uneducated person:
- He sounded like a backwoodsman even in high hat.
3. (UK) a member of the House of Lords who rarely attends that body:
- This speech will encourage the backwoodsmen in the House of Lords to take strong action.
woodsman—(also: woodman) a person who works or hunts in the woods:
- By nature he was a woodsman and spent most of his time roaming the forests in search of game.