Abandon, Desert and Forsake all mean to give up completely.
What’s the difference?
Abandon can suggest complete disinterest in the future of what is given up. (see also Relinquish vs Yield vs Leave vs Resign vs Surrender vs Cede vs Abandon vs Waive and Abandon ship vs Give up the ship)
- Her natural mother had abandoned her at an early age.
- He deserted his wife and family for another woman.
- The villages had been deserted.
- Soldiers who deserted and were caught were shot.
Forsake implies a breaking of a close association by repudiation or renunciation.
- He decided to forsake politics for journalism.