like a scalded cat—
1. rushing madly without regard to where one is going:
- He leapt over the fence and was down the roadway like a scalded cat.
2. screaming in a shrill, piercing voice:
- But why should you squall like a scalded cat?
like a singed cat—said of smb. who is better than appearance indicates:
- His new friend, however, proved to be like a singed cat, much better than he looked.
Note: Neither expression correlates in meaning with the phrase like a cat on hot bricks—
1. ill at ease; very nervous:
- He was like a cat on hot bricks. Scared out of his life as to what she might say.
2. moving swiftly and nimbly:
- A well-bred, rakinglooking sort of mare…. Beautiful action she had, stepped away like a cat on hot bricks.