Carat is a measurement (200 milligrams) used in weighing gemstones.
- Ty bought an engagement ring that had a 1.5-carat diamond.
Caret is a proofreader’s mark (^) to indicate insertion. It’s also used in math to indicate exponentiation.
- Editors often insert many carets on a writer’s first draft.
- If the caret is not in the formula, you will get a different answer.
Carrot is the orange root that Bugs Bunny enjoys eating.
- Carrots grow best when planted in spring.
Karat is a measurement showing the ratio of pure gold to other materials in an alloy. The measurement uses a base of 24 units. Pure gold, which is 24/24ths gold, is called 24-karat gold.
- All their 12-karat jewelry is on sale through next weekend.